Get Daily Updates In Email
Cricket is the most popular sports in India. People consider it as a religion and it is practiced religiously by the die-hard cricket fans. Cricketers are considered as God and are looked up as inspiring models for all the aspiring cricketers.
Sourav Gangly, the yesteryear’s cricketer was quite popular in his times. He was also one of the most reputable cricketers of the Indian cricket team. He was also referred the ‘Prince of Kolkata’ and was handed his maiden call-up to the Indian team on the 1991-92 tour of Australia.
The talented cricketer turns 45 today here are some of the glimpses of Ganguly’s blockbuster records which he created in the long span of his cricket career.
- Sourav Ganguly is the seventh cricketer of our country to have played 100 Test matches.
- He is the 6th highest overall run scorer for India in Tests.
- He has a world record holder for creating most number of 50-run partnerships for the first wicket (44 fifties).
- The ace cricketer holds the record for most 200+ ODI partnerships (6 times) along with Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting.
- Sourav is the only player to win four consecutive man-of-the-match awards in ODIs.
- He was the highest ODI run-scorer in the world (in a calendar year) in 1997, 1999 and 2000.
- Sourav Ganguly has been one of the most successful Indian Test captains ever.
- In the 49 matches he was captain, India won 21 and lost only 13. It was the all-time captaincy record for India before Mahendra Singh Dhoni overtook Ganguly as the most successful Test skipper.
- Winning the NatWest One Day Series Final against England was one of his best moments as ODI captain.
- His biggest achievement with the Indian team was when he led them to the 2003 World Cup final, where they would eventually be thrashed by Australia.
Sourav Ganguly in his long running cricket career has made our country proud with his achievements and dedication.
Mr Ganguly’s famous quote, when his captaincy was criticized – “I know what I’m. People can label me as they like but it upsets me to hear the word “arrogant” being used against me. I’m not arrogant, not at all”.
Here’s wishing the ace cricketer Sourav Ganguly a very happy birthday and loads of happiness in life!